This is your Captain speaking

For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. – Hebrews 2:10

Flying here in Nigeria has gone from being a pleasurable experience to a nightmarish one in the last few years. A number of plane crashes can be singled out as the major source of fear that is now associated with domestic flights within the country.

In addition to that, poor maintenance records and the greed of airline operators that leads to the dangerous practice of cutting corners in the industry has multiplied the fears of many. The weather in Nigeria has certain seasons when flying is very difficult but many feel they do not have an option due to the poor state of the roads and other factors.

For me personally, I used to absolutely love flying as a kid. I never experienced the fear that now grips my stomach on domestic flights. In particular, the turbulence experienced during these flights send me into a frenzy of prayers as I clutch my arm rests very tightly and look at my wrist watch with the hopes of fast forwarding the time and getting the plane safely on the ground.

In my experience, pilots who engage their passengers and keep them informed go a long way to getting them relaxed and easing the tension in the cabin. In one instance, the pilot warned us that a severe storm had gathered around our original flight path and that he would have to fly around it. He told us that we would feel the impact of the storm for a few minutes as we brush around the edges of the storm cloud. He also told us that his maneuver would add to our journey time.

In another instance, the pilot in this case kept us in the dark. We tried to land twice but visibility was too poor. Eventually he came on the radio and said we were returning to our starting point because we couldn’t land and we were running out of fuel! Gasps were heard all around the cabin that day as everyone started to wonder if there was more to the pilot’s story than we had been made to believe. Those two experiences were similar in the prevailing conditions but in terms of how I coped as a passenger, the first pilot did a whole lot better.

In the same vein, the prophetic word from Jesus, the Captain of our salvation, goes a long way in putting our hearts at ease when the storm clouds gather around our destinies. We may be shaken around and thrown about by external factors but the fact that our Captain has already told us to expect such experiences and reassured us that we will get to our final destinations, we can truly be at peace in our hearts.

One clear biblical example of this can be taken from the life of the Apostle Paul. When everyone else felt hopeless about their situation at sea, Paul had the sure word of God and became a source of encouragement to those around him.

21 After they had gone a long time without food, Paul stood up before them and said: “Men, you should have taken my advice not to sail from Crete; then you would have spared yourselves this damage and loss. 22 But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed. 23 Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me 24 and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ 25 So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. – Acts 27

Whenever life’s storms gather around your heart again, remind yourself of what God spoke over your life concerning that situation. Tune your inner man to the frequency of heaven and here those coveted words: “This is your Captain speaking…do not be afraid”.

About these ads

About Watchman

...Just another young man walking out his faith by God's grace day by day. I love writing, I love people and I love Jesus. That's me!
This entry was posted in Devotionals and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to This is your Captain speaking

1. Tolu says:

Thank you. This is a word in season. In life’s situations even on such flights, the Captain’s (Christ’s) word is what will enable us to go through. Not holding on to the word will not only cause internal turmoil, it can cause us to sink like Peter. In Nigeria as everywhere else, we have entered a season where navigation is difficult and it will not get easier – we need to hold on more than ever before to The Word.

• Watchman says:

Hi Tolu. We are indeed living in times when navigation through the storms of life are getting increasingly complicated. I thank God for the promise that His sheep hear His voice. That simplifies everything. The difficult part is quieting the soul long enough to hear His gentle whisper saying: “this is the way…walk in it”. Thanks Tolu

2. Thank you for this encouraging word, Chidi. I pray you have a wonderful Christmas!

• Watchman says:

Hi Natalie! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I pray that as the Son of God was born into our world to bring us hope and reconciliation to the Father, His hope will be renewed in your heart and your family will experience His love afresh. Thank you so much

3. Freedomborn says:

Thank you Watchman, such an encouraging and uplifting Message, yes Paul did not fear He knew His Captain, He knew God would bring good from the evil and He had His assurance it would be so but not only by an Angle but also in his heart or he would not have believed the Angle.

Isaiah 43:1-3 – Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.”

I don’t have visits from Angles or hear God’s voice audibly but I do hear His footprints in my heart and through my writing which He always confirms with Scripture, He knows what His Children need to hear for maturity and encouragement or even correction.

Now that we are in the end times many are fearful and yes as Christians we will experience some of the great Tribulation and some will even be Martyred , Revelation 7:14 but as Revelation also tells us, we will be Raptured before the horror of the final events on earth and join those who were Martyred in Heaven but we are to watch for the signs so we know when Jesus will return for us.

Luke 21:35-36 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many Mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Christmas Love and many Blessings from both of us – Anne.

4. robind333 says:

Wonderful post watchman. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. May 2013 bring you many, many blessings, abundance and love. Happy New Year…Robin

• Watchman says:

Happy Belated New Year Robin! I had an awesome Christmas, thanks for asking. May 2013 be a year in which God will consecrate you further and do awesome things in your midst! God bless you