There are times we come across stories in life and we know we have just been confronted with a facet of the Divine nature of God. This time, we get to witness the sacrificial love of single mum, Stacie Crimm, who refused chemotherapy and essentially chose to die in order for her unborn baby to live.
Already past age 40, Stacie had been told to forget about having children so it was to her great surprise that she found out she had become pregnant. Obviously ecstatic and all, Stacie’s joy was unfortunately cut short by a bout of severe headaches and tunnel vision that was later diagnosed as head and neck cancer.
She was then faced with the most difficult choice of either getting treated via chemotherapy, or giving her unborn baby the chance to live by forfeiting cancer treatment to her ultimate expense. Her brother says it was a no-brainer for Stacie. She was going to lay down her life for her child and her decision was not negotiable.
Five months into her pregnancy, an emergency Caesarean was performed on Stacie and her baby was born about 10 weeks premature. She got to hold her briefly before falling into a coma and eventually dying. Something about this touching story resonated with my heart. I was reminded of God’s love for His children as depicted in Isaiah 66:13, ‘As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you’. If Stacie Crimm could love her unborn baby in such a motherly way, then imagine what the reality of God’s love for us would actually be. We often refer to Him as our Father but God also loves us with a motherly love. We cannot limit His love by gender specifications.
The sacrificial nature of Stacie’s love for her unborn baby whom she had never met also reminded me of Christ’s sacrificial love for me 2000 years before I was even a thought. Truly, Jesus Himself summarises it all in John 15:13, ‘Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends’.
I have included a video clip which is an interview excerpt from a TV programme. I was truly challenged by Stacie and her love. Her sacrificial death is an inspiration to us all.
- Stacie Crimm Dies to Save Her Unborn Baby Daughter (Video) (dailypicksandflicks.com)
- U.S. mom forgoes chemotherapy so baby could live (theprovince.com)
- Mom Refused Treatment For Cancer to Save Child (foxnews.com)
- Heartbreaking Tearjerker of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- Cancer-stricken mom chooses baby’s life over hers (today.msnbc.msn.com)
- U.S. mom forgoes chemotherapy so baby could live (calgaryherald.com)
- Mother Makes The Ultimate Sacrifice (tidbitsofheritage.com)
- Cancer-stricken mom chooses baby’s life over hers (fourbluehills.com)
- Mother Sacrifices Her Life So That Her Unborn Child Could Live (treeofmamre.wordpress.com)
- A Mother’s Love: Pregnant Oklahoma Woman Dies After Refusing Chemotherapy For Her Severe Cancer In Order To Give Birth To Her Daughter (bossip.com)
- Stacy Crimm Chose Life: For Her Child (loopyloo305.wordpress.com)